[kde-linux] Problems building kdebase-4.5.0 Solved !

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 5 08:43:37 UTC 2010

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers posted on Fri, 03 Sep 2010 22:45:03 +0200 as
excerpted:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:36:55 -0700
> James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
>
>>   On 08/29/10 06:36, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
>> > Hi Duncan, Hi James
>> >
>> > building kdebase-4.5.0 I get an make error
>> >
>> > "
>> > kdebase-4.5.0/apps/dolphin/src/search/dolphinsearchoptionsconfigurator.cpp:366:
>> > error: 'QueryFiles' is not a member of 'Nepomuk::Query::FileQuery'
>> Go to your build directory for KDEBase, and open the file:
>> "CMakeCache.txt" and see what the value is for:
>>
>> NEPOMUK_QUERY_LIBRARIES:FILEPATH=

> The CMakeCache.txt values were OK. The problem was, that I did not build
> "shared-desktop-ontologies" before building kdelibs ! This package is
> needed by kdebase ! But it is beeing addressed as "optional" in the
> kdelibs cmake. And I had no idea, for what  I would need such a package.
>
> I would suggest to change the configuration of kdelibs accordingly, or
> at least, to add a remark telling that kdebase will not build unless
> ontologies are compiled during the kdelibs building process.

On Gentoo, shared-desktop-ontologies is a USE flag based dependency of
kdelibs-4.5.0, based on the semantic-desktop USE flag.

The kdelibs semantic-desktop USE flag, in turn, depends not only on
shared-desktop-ontologies, but also on soprano (which in turn
must be built with the dbus, raptor, and redland USE flags to
satisfy the dependency).  Further, there's a USE=semantic-desktop
pdepend (post-depend, not needed for build but to be installed
afterward) on nepomuk.

The semantic-desktop USE flag then hooks into the cmake option
for SharedDesktopOntologies.

So yes, it's "optional", but not really, if you're wanting full
functionality, including semantic desktop.  But here's the deal:
kdelibs can be built either as the foundation for a kde desktop,
in which case you'd want (and with 4.5 it's now almost required)
semantic-desktop and shared-desktop-ontologies, or you can build
it only to support specific kde apps on some other desktop
(gnome, xfce, something lighter), in which case you may well
not want or need the semantic desktop stuff.  That's what the
option is basically coming down to at this point, whether you
want the kde desktop including semantics, or are only building
it to support specific apps on another desktop, in which case
you very well may not want or need the additional dependencies
of semantic-desktop and the ontologies.