[kde-linux] Re: Broken kppp after previously working! Please help!

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Wed Oct 27 04:55:44 UTC 2010

      Hello again list! I'm posting back to myself to report the problem
      is solved. For any other unfortunates that are stuck with dial-up,
      I'll report the solution.

      Let the working box be BG and the nonworking box be BB. Turns out
      BB never did work with kppp, only qinternet. I started using kppp
      to compare the logs on both boxes because it has the modem query
      feature and it gives a good terminal log.

      To get kppp working on BB I had to add myself to the group
      dialout. Qinternet doesn't require that privilege, so it was never
      set on BB.

      What caused the original problem was my ISP changed the dial-up
      access number. I used yast to reconfigure the modem and the
      configuration changed the serial port.

      To recap, BG always worked. BB started working with kppp when I
      added myself to the dialout group. BB started working with
      qinternet when I manually changed the serial port from ttyS1 to ttyS0.

      For the better connected members of the list – thanks for your
      indulgance! Frank K