[kde-linux] Re: CPU frequency options in KDE Power Management (PowerDevil)

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:18:06 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 14:31:00 Duncan wrote:
> Lorenzo Bettini posted on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:45:16 +0100 as excerpted:
> > my laptop CPUs can support CPU frequency scaling (tested in the past); I
> > also installed cpufrequtils; but in PowerDevil (the Power Management
> > dialog of KDE) CPU frequency scaling options are not shown... only
> > "Enable system power saving" in the "CPU and System" dialog (of edit
> > profiles).
> >
> > Is it a known issue?
>
> FWIW, my netbook uses laptop-mode-tools to handle things pretty much
> automatically, and when I do touch it manually, it's thru the command-line
> tools, not kde, so I don't use powerdevil, etc, here and can't directly
> answer your question.  That said...

I'm not clear on the details, but the kernel CPU frequency scaling stuff was
never meant to be user accessible and changing it manually never really
worked, hence why it has now been removed in PowerDevil.  Everything should be
automatically handled by the kernel without user intervention.  There's some
blog's floating around somewhere explaining the why better than I can.

Cheers!

John.