[kde-linux] Re: CPU frequency options in KDE Power Management (PowerDevil)

Lorenzo Bettini lorenzo.bettini at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 18:04:54 UTC 2010

On 11/30/2010 04:18 PM, John Layt wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 November 2010 14:31:00 Duncan wrote:
>> Lorenzo Bettini posted on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:45:16 +0100 as excerpted:
>>> my laptop CPUs can support CPU frequency scaling (tested in the past); I
>>> also installed cpufrequtils; but in PowerDevil (the Power Management
>>> dialog of KDE) CPU frequency scaling options are not shown... only
>>> "Enable system power saving" in the "CPU and System" dialog (of edit
>>> profiles).
>>>
>>> Is it a known issue?
>>
>> FWIW, my netbook uses laptop-mode-tools to handle things pretty much
>> automatically, and when I do touch it manually, it's thru the command-line
>> tools, not kde, so I don't use powerdevil, etc, here and can't directly
>> answer your question.  That said...
>
> I'm not clear on the details, but the kernel CPU frequency scaling stuff was
> never meant to be user accessible and changing it manually never really
> worked, hence why it has now been removed in PowerDevil.  Everything should be
> automatically handled by the kernel without user intervention.  There's some
> blog's floating around somewhere explaining the why better than I can.

I see...  that's kind of sad since changing the frequency scaling used
to work on the past also from KDE...

I was kind of worried that something did not work on my system (Kubuntu
Maverik) since PowerDevil's documentation shipped in my distribution
says something about scaling options in "CPU and System" dialog, but
that's probably due to the fact that that documentation is out of date;
indeed the one I've just found online
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-workspace/kcontrol/powerdevil/index.html#capabilities
does not mention these features...

still it would be good to have some kind of "advanced options" so that
we can access frequency scaling again...

thanks
cheers
	Lorenzo