[kde-linux] Re: Bug 232617 KDESU Doesn't work on:

Robin Atwood robin at binro.org
Sat Nov 6 13:00:38 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 November 2010, James Tyrer wrote:
>   It is difficult to understand why bugs that have patches attached are
> closed without being fixed.
>
> Perhaps if you read the bug, you might have a better understanding of
> the problem.
>
> My analysis, off the top of my head, would be that the KDE project gives
> developers positive reinforcement for how many bugs that they close, not
> how many bugs that they fix.
>
> IAC, I remembered that this bug had never been fixed when I upgraded to
> the 4.5 BRANCH, it is no problem for e because I use my patch, but I
> thought that perhaps other users had the same problem and it would be
> nice if my patch was committed.
>
> IIUC, users are permitted to reopen their bugs if they have not been fixed.
>
> I don't know exactly what I should say about this but it would appear
> that when developers have the time to interfere with people trying to
> fix bugs and when they have the time to write nasty comments on Bugzilla
> somebody that is actually working on fixing bugs, there is something
> wrong here.
>
> IAC, the patch is attached and it should also fix Bug 183671.
>
> I have not been able to reproduce the problem in Bug 183671, so I would
> appreciate it if someone that is having KDESU fail on: "Last login:
> <date of last login>"  would please test it for me.
>
> Note that you can see why KDESU is failing by running it in a Konsole:
>
>      kdesu konqueror
>
> If you don't have the command: 'kdesu' available, you need a link:
>
> $KDEDIR/bin/kdesu -> $KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

I just tried "kdesu konqueror" here and it worked fine. I start several apps
with kdesu from autostart (kate, konqueror) and they also work. Perhaps the
devs don't do anything because they can't reproduce the error. However, kdesu
*is* very delicate and I sometimes have to clean out the kde stuff in /tmp and
/var/tmp before logging on to get apps to start.

-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling