[kde-linux] Trial and error dependencies again?? Ruby

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 12 05:50:26 UTC 2010

James Tyrer posted on Tue, 11 May 2010 21:34:58 -0700 as excerpted:

> Well, I updated Ruby to 1.9.1.  There is no indication in the CMake
> script for KDEBindings as to which version is required.  However, it
> will not build against 1.9.1 (although the CMake script shows no error).
>   So, again it appears that an older version of a dependency (1.8.x) is
> required and there is nothing to indicate this to a user.
>
> Could someone confirm that KDEBindings will not work with Ruby-1.9.x but
> rather requires the older Ruby-1.8.x?

It's ironic, given that you're complaining about versions not being
specified, that you don't specify the version of kdebindings you're trying
to build...

However, for kdebindings-ruby (Gentoo splits the package) version 4.4.3, I
can confirm that Gentoo requires the "ruby18" slot specifically, which
corresponds to "Ruby (MRI) 1.8.x" according to the ruby-ng eclass
manpage.  But I don't know if that's a gentoo/ruby thing or upstream.

Checking the kdebindings-ruby ebuild from the gentoo/kde overlay for
4.4.75 (kde 4.5 alpha, IIRC), and for 4.4.9999 (4.5 development branch
live build) and 9999 (trunk/head), it appears they all have the same
ruby18 requirement.  4.4.2 is still in the tree as well, but I didn't
check it.