[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 18:25:47 UTC 2010

On 03/25/10 01:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2010 00:58:03 James Tyrer wrote:
>> I was told that my problems were caused by my installation and
>> configuration -- falsely told that I couldn't build it (apparently the
>> developer didn't know the difference between building and
>> configuration).  And now it looks like this is just another instance of
>> KDE releasing new features that are seriously broken.  Although I have
>> to admit that it is difficult to tell if you have something installed
>> and configured correctly when it is broken and wouldn't work correctly
>> in any case.
>
> James, you know well enough that the fact that something doesn't work on your
> installation does not automatically mean that KDE have released something in a
> 'seriously broken' state.  When those of us using 'normal' distros can use the
> features it does suggest that you are missing something in your
> build/installation.

Perhaps it is because the distro fixed the problem.  Which is why I
asked the question as I did.  I am specifically trying to find out what
might me missing.

> As for your specifics - to change the time zone requires root permission, as
> does renicing a process, and yes, they do work.

As usual, you have made the useless comment that it works fine, but you
have failed to provide the details which I asked for.  What do you mean
by "requires root permission".  Exactly how does this work on your
system and specifically, which binaries are you using.

Do you want to help or do you just want to say the everything is fine?
Perhaps you could please read my posting thoroughly and try answering it
again -- this time with the objective of actually being helpful.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch