[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 13:35:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday 25 March 2010 13:11:12 Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:56:22 +0000 as excerpted:
> > When those of us using 'normal' distros can use the features it does
> > suggest that you are missing something in your build/installation.
>
> Not disagreeing, Anne... but perhaps substituting "other" for "normal"
> would be less apt to cause offense.

I'm surprised that you thought it offensive - it was not intended to be.
"Normal" distros, to me, means distros that are offered as a complete unit,
and they are "normal" in the sense that they are what the vast majority of
users will experience.  I don't consider it any more "wrong" to use a self-
build distro than I do to use Linux - just not what the majority do.

> Meanwhile, I think there were two elements to his post.  One was asking
> the question, which you answered. =:^)
>
> The second was blowing off steam.  I've been there as I'm sure most of us
> have, all frustrated with things not working, having to post to find out
> if it's just me, or if others have the issue too.  Recognizing that
> legitimate need to blow off steam at times, and that the post is just that
> and isn't really as negative as it may otherwise seem, is a good thing.
> =:^)
>
> Meanwhile, James, "falsely told", and "another instance of KDE releasing
> new features that are seriously broken", without confirming the case first
> (you /were/ asking, after all), doesn't exactly invite cheerful help,
> either.  Perhaps "mistakenly told", and omitting the second bit until the
> question was answered, would have been better.  But as I said, I
> understand blowing off steam, and that it's not so easy to be cheerful
> about it when you've been struggling with it for hours, perhaps days.
>
> Just some personal observations.  If you wish, take them as worth what you
> paid for them... =:^)

Frustration I can accept - I certainly felt it when a faulty udev package
locked me out of my laptop for an hour or two - but however frustrated, making
offensive remarks about other people, as I felt James was doing, is at all
times unacceptable.

I hope I have sufficiently explained my reference to "normal" - it is not in
any sense a measure of good or bad, merely of majority.  FWIW, I have always
said that I prefer to be a goat rather than a sheep ;-)

KDE Community Working Group