[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 00:58:03 UTC 2010

I have been told various things about installation of KAuth from various
developers that may, or may not, know what they were talking about.
Without any documentation, I have to proceed with trial and error which
is ridiculous.

Edgar Alwers was told that he should build it against PolKit-Qt-1.  I
did this and the result was that the KDE policies disappeared from
"System Settings:: Advanced -> PolicyKit Authorization".  However, I
used version 0.95.1 and someone said that 0.95.2 was needed (actually
the TRUNK version).  Does anyone know?

Having now installed KDE-4.4.1+ in "/usr" along with KDESupport-4.4 and
all of the D-Bus and Policy stuff, I find that it still doesn't work.

If you are running KDE-4.4.x, can you set the Date and Time Zone using
"System Settings:: General -> Date & Time"?  If so, what binary did you
install?  Can you do this as user by doing an authentication with the
root password or otherwise?

So, I was tired of the security that didn't work and went to the
"/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy" and (as root) executed:

	sed -i -e 's/auth_admin/yes/' org.kde.*

which should remove all security.

Note that if you installed a binary that already modified the "*.policy"
files you might have to edit them by hand so that each instance of
"<allow_active>" should have:

	<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

So, now I should be able to do everything as any user.  Well I can NOT,
so I need help to determine if this is a bug.  I can set the Date, but
when I try to set the Time Zone, the "Apply" button is not enabled. This
looks like a bug since if I change the Date too, I can change the Time Zone.

Using KSysGuard, I can now (as user) change the "nice" of a process, but
when I try to set the "I/O Scheduler" all I get are error messages. Both
do work if I open KSysGuard ad root, but that worked OK before. Can you
use KSysGuard to change the I/O Scheduler as root?

I was told that my problems were caused by my installation and
configuration -- falsely told that I couldn't build it (apparently the
developer didn't know the difference between building and
configuration).  And now it looks like this is just another instance of
KDE releasing new features that are seriously broken.  Although I have
to admit that it is difficult to tell if you have something installed
and configured correctly when it is broken and wouldn't work correctly
in any case.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch