[kde-linux] Sidux uses Kubuntu KDE version for desktop

denis fprckq at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 15 21:24:36 UTC 2010

On Sunday 14 March 2010 19:47:40 Steven Crooks wrote:
> On Sunday 14 March 2010 22:53:03 denis wrote:
> > Hello,
> > please let me know if this is not the correct list to post this inquiry
> > in. Over the last 2 months I changed operating systems, going from
> > Kubuntu, OpenSuse, and finally chose Sidux.
> > Sidux ran great and I tried to get the latest updates but I messed up
> > the windom managers and my home directory.
> > The default KDE desktop for Sidux used to be a red and black
> > background, but now after choosing the KDE Session type at login
> > the blue Kubuntu KDE version appears.
> > I've reloaded the Sidux OS several times and it starts with the default
> > red/black Sidux KDE Desktop, but as soon  as I untar my home
> > directory, it reverts to the blue KDE desktop at the next startup.
> > I use Eagle to design PC boards and use a ULP script which was
> > upgraded 2 months ago. Now when the script is called it runs an
> > older version from 2 years back.
> > Both of these problems started when I tried to update the OS. I think
> > that attempt may have corrupted my home directory, and  ther
> > problems I'm experiencing are caused by my home directory.
> > Would any one have any idea how I can resolve this.
> > cheers,
> > Denis

> Good Morning,
>
> let me guess, you've just mounted your old $HOME from kubuntu/suse into
>  sidux, am i right? If so, there _must_ be problems. That kubuntu wallpaper
>  must be somewhere in your $HOME, i can assure you, that it is not from
>  sidux.
>
> Do yourself a favor, create a new $HOME and copy data (e.g. mail, contacts,
> etc.) and important settings into the new one. Yes, it takes a little time,
> but you will get less problems, using a fresh $HOME-directory (and it even
>  is recommended by the sidux-devs, thats why you can't mount a "old" $HOME
>  directory in the installation-setup).
>
> I recommend you to read the (fantastic) sidux-manual, you will find plenty
>  of informations and hints in there.
>
> Greetings,
> Steven

Hi Steven,
yep you're correct, I reloaded the home from Kubuntu into Sidux. I will copy
all the important stuff into a new home directory as you suggest. I tried that
already yesterday and copied what I thought was only program data files over
into a separate directory which I then tarred and copied to a separate disk.
Then I wiped the Sidux disk with Dban, reinstalled Sidux, unpacked the home
directory and when prompted to use the KDE3 settings for KDE4 the screen went
to the kubuntu desktop again. What a mess.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
cheers,
Denis