[kde-linux] Sidux uses Kubuntu KDE version for desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 16 00:26:00 UTC 2010

denis posted on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:24:36 -0700 as excerpted:

> yep you're correct, I reloaded the home from Kubuntu into Sidux. I will
> copy all the important stuff into a new home directory as you suggest. I
> tried that already yesterday and copied what I thought was only program
> data files over into a separate directory which I then tarred and copied
> to a separate disk. Then I wiped the Sidux disk with Dban, reinstalled
> Sidux, unpacked the home directory and when prompted to use the KDE3
> settings for KDE4 the screen went to the kubuntu desktop again. What a
> mess.

Well, the desktop (activity) wallpaper's definitely a per-user (and per
activity and/or desktop) setting.  So it'd logically be stored in plasma's
application settings.  KDE stores application settings in two places,
depending on whether the app uses only one or two config files
($KDEHOME/share/config) or an entire subdir of files
($KDEHOME/share/apps/<application>).  $KDEHOME defaults as shipped by kde
to $HOME/.kde (where $HOME is the user's home dir), tho various
distributions change the .kde slightly, to .kde4 or the like.

Can you take note of the setting when using the default sidux install, and
put the same selection back in after you restore your user settings?  For
kde 4.4.x, look under Desktop Activity Settings, Wallpaper.  But it looks
like it may not list enough info about it (the path info) in ordered to be
able to reselect it, if it's not in the default location.  (I'm using
wallpapers in the default location, so I don't know how it shows others.)

Meanwhile, back to the config files.  FWIW, in KDE they're all generally
human readable (and editable) text files.  I just checked the apps dir.
The only plasma related subdirs there seem to be plasmoid related.  So it
looks to be in the config dir.  I actually see about a half-dozen plasma*
config files there.  Now, which one of those?

Found it!

Look in $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc .  It's a slightly
modified *.ini file format, sections denoted with [] (slightly modified as
multiple [] labels define a section), followed by keyword=value pairs.

However, as you're just upgrading, you'll likely not have a whole lot
customized, and can simply rename or delete the entire file (as usual,
recommend rename/move until you know you're not losing other settings you
want to keep, then delete).  Note that it's best to do so while kde or at
least plasma-desktop is shut down.  So do it either from a text console,
no kde running, or enter killall plasma-desktop (or
kquitapp plasma-desktop if you prefer the kde method) in a konsole window
or krunner, then do the file rename/delete, then restart plasma-desktop
using krunner or whatever.

If it turns out that there are other settings there that you want to keep,
just check the GUI settings for the name of the currently selected
wallpaper, do a search for it in that file to get the correct section
(which looks like [Containments][<number>][Wallpaper][image] , here, I
have two such sections as I've two activities setup).  The key should be
Wallpaper= , with a value similar to </path/to/wallpaper/> , something
like /usr/share/wallpapers/<name>/ for the system defaults.  Note that
kde4 uses individual wallpaper subdirs by default now, with each one
containing a collection of images in different resolutions, so an
appropriate one can be chosen.  If you download additional wallpapers from
kde-look using the kde kgetnewstuff gui, those will likely be wallpaper
packs as well, but they'd be stored in $KDEHOME/share/wallpapers instead
of the system dir.  Of course, individual images can be chosen as well,
and that's likely what you'll have there with settings imported from kde3.

As with the above file rename, I'd suggest editing this file with kde or
at least plasma-desktop shut down, again using krunner or konsole to do
the shutdown and restart before and after your editing.