[kde-linux] JPEG 7 vs KDE-4.4 (DLL HELL comes to Linux?)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 10 16:41:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-03-10, James Tyrer wrote:
> I have an interesting issue which appears to be an obscure bug or a
> build system issue.  I updated Firefox and needed to upgrade a bunch of
> stuff first.
>
> I installed: "jpeg-7", but I did not remove version 6.2 pending
> rebuilding other packages.  I did rebuild KDESupport and the KDE-4.4
> BRANCH tree.
>
> When I open Konqueror, it opens fine but when I open a web page (e.g.
> www.kde.org) it crashes without the KDE crash dialog appearing.
>
> So, I opened it in a Konsole.  I get this error message:
>
> konqueror(32716)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "http"
> for KUrl("http://www.kde.org/images/teaser/js-jam.jpg")
> konqueror(32716)/kio (KIOConnection)
> KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote: Listening on
> "local:/tmp/jrt-kde4/ksocket-jrt/konquerorE32716.slave-socket"
> Wrong JPEG library version: library is 70, caller expects 62

Would be interesting where this output comes from.
Can you check if both JPEG libraries have different so-names and whether you
have a .so symlink pointing to either one?

> Any suggestions or should I just reinstall KDE-Vista?

Installing KDE Windows packages will only affect a Windows system, this
problem seems to be on a Linux system.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring