[kde-linux] JPEG 7 vs KDE-4.4 (DLL HELL comes to Linux?)

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 16:32:34 UTC 2010

I have an interesting issue which appears to be an obscure bug or a
build system issue.  I updated Firefox and needed to upgrade a bunch of
stuff first.

I installed: "jpeg-7", but I did not remove version 6.2 pending
rebuilding other packages.  I did rebuild KDESupport and the KDE-4.4
BRANCH tree.

When I open Konqueror, it opens fine but when I open a web page (e.g.
www.kde.org) it crashes without the KDE crash dialog appearing.

So, I opened it in a Konsole.  I get this error message:

konqueror(32716)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "http"
for KUrl("http://www.kde.org/images/teaser/js-jam.jpg")
konqueror(32716)/kio (KIOConnection)
KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote: Listening on
"local:/tmp/jrt-kde4/ksocket-jrt/konquerorE32716.slave-socket"
Wrong JPEG library version: library is 70, caller expects 62
konqueror(32716)/khtml KHTMLFactory::~KHTMLFactory: KHTMLFactory(0x8b9e518)

I rebuilt everything starting with: "kio" in KDElibs, KDEPIMLibs, and
KDEBase.

Any suggestions or should I just reinstall KDE-Vista?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch