[kde-linux] KDE 4.4: seeking to bind `Windows List Settings' to middle-mouse click

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 24 21:19:08 UTC 2010

Pablo Sanchez posted on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:18:46 -0400 as excerpted:

> With KDE 3.x, I have my Mouse's middle button configured to run `Window
> List Menu' (shows all the windows running on all desktops).
>
> I'm currently testing `openSUSE 11.3 RC1' and I'd like to emulate the
> above.  I see the `Window List' widget does what I want however it
> doesn't allow me to enter `middle-mouse-button' for a shortcut.
>
> Is there another way to accomplish what I'm seeking?
>
> As an aside, an important aside, KDE 4.4 has come a loooooooooooooong
> way!  Even the `eye candy' is quite nice.  Hats off to the development
> team.

Yes, it's possible, but you're looking in the wrong place. =:^/  The
widget is at a specific place on the desktop, you want a click on the
(bare) desktop to do it.  That's set in the general desktop/activity
settings.

By default (but it's configurable), a secondary-button (aka right button)
click on the desktop should bring up the desktop menu.  Or, click on the
desktop "cashew" (toolbox).  Either way, choose desktop activity settings.

Once the desktop/activity settings dialog is open, select the mouse
actions icon in the left column, and you should see a list to the left.

The action you want is the "Switch Window" action.  If there's a middle
button action already set, you can change it to switch window.  If there's
no middle button action set yet, click add, click the middle button, and
the middle button action should appear, after which you can select switch
window if you need.

I really like this feature, as there's both quite a number of configurable
actions, and, with all the modifier-key-button-click combos, quite a
number of configurable triggers for them.  So configure away! =:^)

Just remember that the right button default action is the standard menu
(aka desktop context menu).  You'll probably want to keep that unless you
want to learn a new combo, or to always go to the cashew for that menu.
And if you do set something else as your right click action, remember that
you /can/ go to the cashew to get to the desktop settings dialog and reset
things, if necessary.  People sometimes lose that configuration, and
without the right-click menu, don't know how to get to the config to get
it back, as it doesn't occur to them to try the cashew.