[kde-linux] Akonadi_maildir_resource

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 25 09:30:39 UTC 2010

David Baron posted on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:01:42 +0300 as excerpted:

> Actually, these resources are touching mail folders, not address-books
> and I have a good number of folders. So maybe the startup of so many of
> them is "correct." So the real questions:
>
> 1. Why must this bog down the system? Nice/ionice? 2. Do I need ALL of
> them at once? Set max children/processes option? 3. I do not mind
> waiting for kmail to start if it needs ALL the folders synced in order
> to start. However, nothing else, i.e. plasma-desktop, should be waiting
> for any of this akonadi stuff. I am not running Nepomuk because of such
> problems. ALL startup process must be asynchronous.

The good news here is that such complaints were one of the big things they
were working on for akonadi with 4.5 and 4.5.1 (the latter being when kmail
starts using it, itself).  From what I've read, 4.5 is much better at
limiting both nepomuk and akonadi to "reasonable" I/O usage, so they're
not hogging the entire I/O bandwidth, preventing anything else from
getting anywhere.

But I'll let Kevin fill in the details, as he's one of the guys actually
working on the akonadi and kmail thing.