[kde-linux] Akonadi_maildir_resource

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Jul 25 09:01:42 UTC 2010

On Sunday 25 July 2010 09:16:48 David Baron wrote:
> My KDE4 is excruciatingly slow to start up. The culprit is Akonadi.
> Specifically akonadi_maildir_resource. A zillion of these start up and
> until most of them die out, nothing can move. I have not been able to
> simply ask for one or a desired small number of these (I have one
> vcs/maildir folder--how many "resources" does the require for kmail to run
> properly?).
>
> How can one fix this or get it under some control?
>
> Alternative mail program and scrap akonadi (or at least all its processes
> touching email)?

Actually, these resources are touching mail folders, not address-books and I
have a good number of folders. So maybe the startup of so many of them is
"correct." So the real questions:

1. Why must this bog down the system? Nice/ionice?
2. Do I need ALL of them at once? Set max children/processes option?
3. I do not mind waiting for kmail to start if it needs ALL the folders synced
in order to start. However, nothing else, i.e. plasma-desktop, should be
waiting for any of this akonadi stuff. I am not running Nepomuk because of
such problems. ALL startup process must be asynchronous.