[kde-linux] KDE Proxy settings

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Tue Jul 6 10:11:27 UTC 2010

Citerar Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>:

> Dag Nygren posted on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:11:22 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> Why does konqueror need a restart of the whole KDE environment when I
>> change the Proxy settings? Can it be avoided.
>>
>> It is most inconvinient when travelling using your laptop...
>
> ???
>
> Proxy settings changes don't appear to require a restart, even of
> konqueror, here.  I run privoxy (formerly junkbuster) on localhost, and
> normally have that set as my proxy for http and https (only).  When a page
> doesn't work as I expect and I need to troubleshoot a filter, I can set
> privoxy to bypass mode, or turn the proxy off entirely in konqueror.
> Normally I do the former, but it's quite possible to do the latter as
> well, and toggling konqueror's proxy settings on and off at least, doesn't
> require a restart of anything, even konqueror.  It just uses the new
> settings and continues working...

Sorry, should have been more specific. It seems to need a restart only
if you are using either an automatic proxy detection and/or a URL to
configure your proxy. I am then switching from "No proxy". If I set
the proxy manually there is no restart requested.

Using KDE version 4.4.2 on the laptop.

> But you don't mention anything about kde/konqueror version (and your
> message-id header appears to indicate pine as a mailer, so no clue
> there).  FWIW, I just updated to 4.4.5 yesterday so I don't know about it,
> but 4.4.4 and earlier, thru the 4.4.x series at least (4.3 and previous
> had some serious issues with proxies, perhaps that's what you're running
> into if you're on pre-4.4 kde4, I don't remember seeing the issue on kde3,
> either, tho that was over a year ago for me, now), were working fine, in
> terms of switching the proxy on and off.

Well, 4.4.2 still have issues with https-proxy. Strange immediate
timeouts for example.. But that is another issue that is already
reported as a known bug.

Thanks for the response
Dag