[kde-linux] KDE Proxy settings

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 6 14:29:16 UTC 2010

Dag Nygren posted on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 13:11:27 +0300 as excerpted:

> Sorry, should have been more specific. It seems to need a restart only
> if you are using either an automatic proxy detection and/or a URL to
> configure your proxy. I am then switching from "No proxy". If I set the
> proxy manually there is no restart requested.

That'd explain why I don't see it.  I'd probably do manual config even if
I had the choice, as I'm security minded and paranoid enough to wonder
where those auto-config things might redirect me, should the request be
intercepted.

> Using KDE version 4.4.2 on the laptop.

Good to know.

> Well, 4.4.2 still have issues with https-proxy. Strange immediate
> timeouts for example.. But that is another issue that is already
> reported as a known bug.

I was getting those earlier so unfortunately know all too well about
them.  Fortunately, the privoxy folks were able to adjust they way they
handled things to fix the problem, so I wasn't aware whether the issue was
still there or not... but that's one of the reasons I limited my "working
fine" claim to "in terms of switching the proxy on and off."

But meanwhile, that does point to a possible workaround to the immediate
timeouts issue for you if you haven't found another, yet.  Run privoxy,
which has the problem fixed from its end, on localhost, configure konqueror
proxy thru it, and then change privoxy's in turn chained proxy instead of
konqueror's.  If you don't want to use privoxy for ad-filtering or the
like, just set it on bypass, and let it handle the konqueror connectivity
thing for you.  The caveat of course is that I don't think privoxy can be
set to grab its proxy automatically (tho for the reasons mentioned above,
I explained above, I'd be unlikely to know it if it could), so you'd be
setting that manually, but it should at least get rid of those frustrating
immediate timeout issues!  I know I was glad enough to be rid of them,
here!