[kde-linux] KDE Proxy settings

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 6 08:32:46 UTC 2010

Dag Nygren posted on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:11:22 +0300 as excerpted:

> Why does konqueror need a restart of the whole KDE environment when I
> change the Proxy settings? Can it be avoided.
>
> It is most inconvinient when travelling using your laptop...

???

Proxy settings changes don't appear to require a restart, even of
konqueror, here.  I run privoxy (formerly junkbuster) on localhost, and
normally have that set as my proxy for http and https (only).  When a page
doesn't work as I expect and I need to troubleshoot a filter, I can set
privoxy to bypass mode, or turn the proxy off entirely in konqueror.
Normally I do the former, but it's quite possible to do the latter as
well, and toggling konqueror's proxy settings on and off at least, doesn't
require a restart of anything, even konqueror.  It just uses the new
settings and continues working...

But you don't mention anything about kde/konqueror version (and your
message-id header appears to indicate pine as a mailer, so no clue
there).  FWIW, I just updated to 4.4.5 yesterday so I don't know about it,
but 4.4.4 and earlier, thru the 4.4.x series at least (4.3 and previous
had some serious issues with proxies, perhaps that's what you're running
into if you're on pre-4.4 kde4, I don't remember seeing the issue on kde3,
either, tho that was over a year ago for me, now), were working fine, in
terms of switching the proxy on and off.

Also, I keep caching disabled, as it's just easier troubleshooting privoxy
filter issues that way (no bad copy in cache to have to worry about), and
as I said, I only proxy http/https.  Maybe I don't see the issue either
because I'm not caching, or because I'm not proxying whatever protocol is
triggering it for you.