[kde-linux] ext4 Partition and KDE 4.3.4

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 30 06:45:43 UTC 2010

Dr. Edgar Alwers posted on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:20:21 +0100 as excerpted:

> I installed a new 500 GB internal disk on my box, which runs Linux from
> Scratch, kernel 2.6.32.2. On this disk, I formated a 50 GB partition
> with the ext4 system.
> My experiences:
> 1.) The system mounts the ext4 partition through fstab, ( type ext3,
> type ext4 is not yet recognised on fstab).
> 2.) On a console, I can e.g. copy a file to the ext4 partition. 3.) I
> cannot "speak" to this partition through dolphin. I get a message: error
> ocurred while accesing, wrong fs, bad superblock etc....
>
> The compilation of the KDE4.3.4 was done before the new disk was
> mounted. But I rebuilt the kernel with the ext4 filesystem activated.
>
> My questions:
> 1.) is dolphin ignoring my ext4 partition because it was build before
> the ext4 activation in the kernel ?
> 2.) Is dolphin ( 4.3.4 ) not yet "used" to ext4 ? If this is true, 3.)
> will dolphin kde 4.4 be familiar with the ext4 system ?
>
> BTW., dolphin is only one example. I cannot mount the ext4 partition
> outside of fstab.

None of this has anything to do with KDE or its apps, except that they're
simply other apps on the system not able to use the filesystem, because
the filesystem cannot be properly mounted.

The problem is thus not with kde, but with your system apps.  You
mentioned that you were using kernel 2.6.32.x, which I can confirm works
well with ext4.  What versions of util-linux and e2fsprogs do you have?
These contain the mount command and the various ext[234] utilities.
Perhaps you're running outdated versions there.  FWIW, here's what I'm
running on ~arch (~amd64 and ~x86, ~ indicates unstable version) gentoo,
here:

util-linux-2.17
e2fsprogs-1.41.9

With those and kernel 2.6.32.x, I have absolutely no trouble mounting ext4
fileystems as ext4, as set in fstab.  I know this as while I run reiserfs
on my main disks on both my workstation and netbook, I'm running ext4. set
to use no journal, on the thumbdrive I'm using to shuffle files back and
forth using local rsync, until such time as I get the network properly
setup to do it directly, without use of the thumbdrive as intermediary.
Thus, that thumbdrive and the no-journal ext4 filesystems it contains, is
getting a bit of a workout ATM, being mounted first on one system then the
other, then rsynced as appropriate.  Believe me, if either the 32-bit
native netbook or the 64-bit native workstation were incapable of mounting
ext4 from fstab, I'd know it well by now!