[kde-linux] ext4 Partition and KDE 4.3.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jan 29 22:57:31 UTC 2010

On Friday, 2010-01-29, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a new 500 GB internal disk on my box, which runs Linux from
> Scratch, kernel 2.6.32.2. On this disk, I formated a 50 GB partition with
>  the ext4 system.
> My experiences:
> 1.) The system mounts the ext4 partition through fstab, ( type ext3, type
>  ext4 is not yet recognised on fstab).
> 2.) On a console, I can e.g. copy a file to the ext4 partition.
> 3.) I cannot "speak" to this partition through dolphin. I get a message:
>  error ocurred while accesing, wrong fs, bad superblock etc....

That sounds like a system problem.

> The compilation of the KDE4.3.4 was done before the new disk was mounted.
>  But I rebuilt the kernel with the ext4 filesystem activated.
>
> My questions:
> 1.) is dolphin ignoring my ext4 partition because it was build before the
>  ext4 activation in the kernel ?

Unlikely, Dolphin is not using any access method on such a low level that it
would matter which filesystem module is handling it.

> 2.) Is dolphin ( 4.3.4 ) not yet "used" to ext4 ? If this is true,

No, see above.

> 3.) will dolphin kde 4.4 be familiar with the ext4 system ?

Again, see above.
Dolphin is just using system API to access local files. The system takes care
of accessing the actual file system through filesystem modules.

> BTW., dolphin is only one example. I cannot mount the ext4 partition
>  outside of fstab.

Sounds again like a system problem.
If you cannot even mount it, how would any user space program access it?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring