[kde-linux] Kmail and Kwallet

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 23:10:58 UTC 2010

2010/1/23 Trent Shea <trentshea at gmail.com>

> kwalletmanger being installed doesn't really make much of a difference.
>
> After playing around I'm pretty sure you can put all your original
> config files and rc files back in place then try the following:
>
> -open kmail (uncheck remember passwords)
> -close kmail (important because the kmail.rc file will be changed)
> -open kmail check your mail enter the password and check the box to
> remember
> passwords
> -close kmail (again important because this saves the edits to the kmailrc
> and
> mailtransports)
> -open kmail and check mail see if it prompts for the wallet
>
> The files that you need to keep an eye on are
> .kde/share/config/kmailrc
> .kde/share/config/mailtransports
>
> If your password is not using kwallet you should see a line similar to:
> pass=ᄒᆳ○ᆱ→ᅫ■→■ᅤᄎ  in the kmailrc file otherwise it should be pass[$d] or
> something similar
>
> Is there any chance that your wallet is open and you've granted kmail
> permission to open it without asking?

nope, doesn't work in this way.
i've closed kwallet and the apps that are using it. i've found a way of
fixing it. made a copy of the mail folders, reset kmail, and set again the
account. after that i've closed kmail, copied the mail folders back (without
the configuration) and then it worked. it now stores the pass in the wallet.
but i cannot find any pass= something in the kmailrc. so i think that it
should have been enough to remove it. maybe kmail was still reading it from
the file before reset. i've done the same with kopete. as for the other apps
like knetworkmanager it was enough to remove the configuration and for
konqueror to go on a new site and type inside a new passwd to open the
kwallet.
so now it seems that the kde apps are again using kwallet.

thanks again for the time you'e spent on the matter.

--
dott. ing. beso