[kde-linux] Unable to play audio CDs in Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) development version

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 11:53:36 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Bruce Miller <subscribe at brmiller.ca> wrote:

> Trying to listen to audio CDs in the alpha versions of Kubuntu Lucid Lynx
> (10.04) is proving an exercise in frustration. I am acutely aware of the
> standard caveats about not using developmental versions of distros for
> "production purposes." Still, nothing beats "in-the-wild" testing.
>
> My big Core 2 Duo system is currently down. For the time being, I am using
> an older P4 machine. It has built-in a DVD-ROM (/dev/scd0) and a CD-ROM
> (/dev/scd1) as well as an external DVD-RW (/dev/scd2). All three drives are,
> ahem, well used, but I do not suspect hardware failure. I tested with three
> store-purchased, new, scratch-free CDs. k3b recognized the load of an audio
> CD into each drive and correctly looked up the freedb metadata for each CD.
> I'm not having optical drive read problems.
>
> But I have so far been unable to actually play an audio CD in this
> environment. Amarok 2.2 is supposed to support audio CDs. Whereas the
> automounter and the system notification both acknowledge the loading of an
> audio CD into /dev/scd0 (/media/cdrom), Amarok reports that it has zero
> tracks. Since it reports zero tracks, it plays nothing.
>
> kscd (which has a fancy new interface) behaves even more weirdly. When I
> put the audio CD into the plainest CD-ROM drive, that is, dev/scd1
> (/media/cdrom1, kscd read the track list and pulled down the freedb
> metadata. However, when I hit play, it complained "no disk." When I hit
> eject, the draw opened on the external DV-RW drive (/dev/scd2). When I put
> the CD into /dev/scd0 (the presumed default), the track list came up blank,
> hitting play produced a "no disk" complaint, hitting eject again opened
> /dev/scd2. Putting the CD into /dev/scd2 again brought up a blank track
> list, nothing happened when I hit play, and hitting eject at least opened
> the drawer containing the CD. The kscd config file is buried deep in the
> ~/.kde tree, but it appears to have no provision to define the optical drive
> to be used.

Running Kubuntu Karmic with KDE 4.4 beta 2 here. Kscd behaves normally for
me. The optical drive is defined in System Settings under Advanced-->Audio
CD's. See if it helps to make changes there. Although, from the way your
system is behaving, I would say there is a general problem in the way the
device is being recognized and it probably isn't specifically related to
KDE. But try changing the device in the setting above.

> Although not a KDE application, I have had similar frustration with
> ripperX. Now that grip is no longer included in the repositories, I am
> looking for a ripper/encoder which allows the user to: (1) define the format
> for naming folders and files; (2) calls musicbrainz.org for tag data; and
> (3), allows the user to set precise encoding parameters.  Extensive Googling
> suggested that ripperX does not allow quite the precise level of control
> that grip did, but it comes closer than anything else. However, regardless
> of which drive I tried putting the audio CDs in, ripperX consistently
> complained that it could not find an audio CD. Like kscd, the config file,
> ~/.ripperXrc appears to lack provision to define the optical drive to be
> used.

Have you tried Kaudiocreator? I'm pretty satisfied with the way it works.
But I can't compare it to ripperX, which I haven't used.