[kde-linux] Unable to play audio CDs in Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) development version

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 2 09:55:52 UTC 2010

Bruce Miller posted on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:28:59 -0800 as excerpted:

> Trying to listen to audio CDs in the alpha versions of Kubuntu Lucid
> Lynx (10.04) is proving an exercise in frustration. I am acutely aware
> of the standard caveats about not using developmental versions of
> distros for "production purposes." Still, nothing beats "in-the-wild"
> testing.

I think there's something strange going on with audio CDs in kde4, ATM.
I thought it was just me, but haven't had time to trace it down.  Then
someone else mentioned having issues as well.  And now you...

FWIW, I think KSCD uses the settings in "the application formerly known
as kcontrol" (aka system settings, even if it's for kde control, not
system settings, so system settings is inaccurate, as well as so generic
it's worthless as a name! kcontrol was perfectly accurate and unique
enough to serve as a useful name, I don't know why they had to screw it
up!), under Advanced User Settings, Audio CDs.  (This is kde 4.3.4, I've
no idea what kubuntu's kde versions are and you didn't say...)  You can
set the CD Device there.  However, I'm not sure it'll help, given the
above.

Meanwhile, the problem seems to be exactly as you say -- there's issues
with audio tracks, but data CDs and DVDs seem to work fine.  Have you
tried k3b as a ripper or CD copier?  It's excellent, and should at least
allow you to rip the CDs to disk using whatever format, or simply copy
them.

You can also try the audiocd: kioslave, in konqueror or dolphin or
krusader.  Simpy type audiocd: in as the address, and experiment a bit.
I've never really done anything with it, but again, it /should/ let you
rip to disk using your choice of various formats.  Of course, for a
couple more years until the patents expire, you'll probably have to get
the MP3 codec enabled version of ffmpeg and/or lame and/or lib/mad from
other than the main (k)ubuntu repositories.