[kde-linux] kmail - turn off html?

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Fri Jan 1 05:06:01 UTC 2010

On Thursday 31 December 2009 07:19:50 pm Dale wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
> > Dale posted on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:08:25 -0600 as excerpted:
> >

> >> One could also add that you could forward a email to a windoze user
that
> >> has something "nasty" attached and not even know it.  After all,
most
> >> viruses won't do anything on Linux since they are written to run on
> >> windoze.  You can forward them to someone where it does cause harm.
Even
> >> tho I don't like windoze, I wouldn't want to pass a virus on to
someone
> >> who does like it or is forced to use it.
> >>

> > That's a very (very) good point; one I tend to forget.  Thanks!
> >

> My older brother sends me emails to check out and make sure it is
safe,
> then I tell him if it is OK to open.  This is for attachments tho.  He
> won't open a attachment even if from someone he knows.  I explained
> those are the most dangerous ones to open.
>
> A lot of Linux only users do forget that viruses have to spread to be
> any good.  Linux may not catch the bug it is as good a carrier as
> anything else.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Greetings, All --

Xin Nian Kuai Le!  (Happy New Year -- in Mandarin Chinese!)

As I recall it, this thread began when a list member wanted to know
whether or not K-Mail could display the textual substance of an HTML
message without the confusing tags.  I replied to the effect that I know
of no such option -- and a simple explanation of how I manage HTML
messages.

Another list member seemed to think that I am an objectionable elitist
guru, and that pandering to people like me is what is causing K-Mail to
go downhill as a general-user application.  There has been a LOT of
comment -- on this same thread -- to THAT posting, and even more to a
subsequent serious inquiry concerning the reality of dangers posed by
HTML messages in a Linux environment.

Personally, I find a LOT of the information being shared to be both
interesting and useful.  But I also think that the subsequent inquiry
has had the effect of "hijacking" the original thread.  We have branched
from "K-Mail features regarding HTML messages" to "E-Mail Security
Issues in a Linux Environment and in the world"!  Therefore, if there is
much more to say on the separate -- and ENTIRELY "legitimate" -- topic,
I would like to suggest the wisdom of changing the "Subject:".  THANK
YOU for all of the wonderful information and the many insights, as well
as your consideration of a new name for the new topic!

Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us