[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Sun Aug 22 11:46:05 UTC 2010

Le Sunday 22 August 2010 11:07:05 Duncan, vous avez écrit :
>[...]
> It's possible that setting was an addition for kde 4.5, based on bugs like
> yours reported for earlier versions.
>
> That would also explain why I wasn't aware of it, as 4.5.0 is still
> reasonably new, and I've not fully explored it yet.  I thought sure I'd
> reviewed all the konsole settings yet this one was new to me.  If it was
> new for 4.5 (konsole version 2.5), that explains why.

It looks like a very recent modification :
http://marc.info/?l=kde-commits&m=127542238512153

> > I will attach a screenshot in a later message.
>
> Please do.  That way I can see for myself what 4.4 looked like and satisfy
> myself that I indeed hadn't missed the setting!

The screenshot has just been approved by moderator. You should receive it now.

> [...]
> Try this.  If you're lucky, it just wasn't in the GUI for 4.4, but konsole
> still honors the setting in the config file.  In the appearance section as
> above:
>
> BoldIntense=false
>
> That's the setting that got added when I switched it off (it defaults to
> on if the line isn't there at all), here.

I immediately tried it but to no avail...
The previous link explains why .

> Otherwise, you may have just found a reason to investigate an early
> upgrade! =;^)

I have two options :

1- upgrade to kde 4.5, from the suse repositories, but that might be risky as
it's not the officially maintained version for opensuse 11.3, and that might
lead to some unstabilities that i will not be able to deal with, since i will
lack of time.

2- try to recompile konsole in a later version. But i don't how i will do
that.

I would prefer the number 2 . Is it easy to do ? I can ./configure, make, make
install . I have already done it several times...

In fact, i don't know if will have time, since i will be very busy by real
life in the next days (job + moving to a new palce, etc...)

> > Sure, you your knowledge about font size is very big. I learnt a lot
> > reading you.
>
> To be honest, one of the things I (re)learnt is that I didn't actually
> know quite as much as I thought! =:^(  Still, I was honestly trying to
> help, and I did learn more because of it, plus, hopefully, help you with
> the problem, the intended goal for both of us.
>
> (Hmm... FWIW with the above, I also "learnt" that "learnt" is primarily UK
> English, the USian common form being "learned"... learned due to it being
> flagged as misspelled, provoking me to look it up in wictionary.  While
> both my folks are USian and I've been back here for over three decades
> now, I spent six years as a kid in Kenya back in the 70s.  As it was a
> former British colony only achieving independence in '63, I grew up with
> boot and bonnet instead of hood and trunk, and colour, metre, etc, instead
> of color, meter, etc, among other things.  So "learnt" sounds perfectly
> fine to me and I only learned of the issue due to the flagged spelling.)

Those differencies are fuzzy for me since i am french native speaker, although
i spent some weeks/months in Ireland, US, England, Scotland, and Canada . I
tend to improvise english, even if i am supposed to be good in aeronautical
english because of my job.

I will try to give some feedback, when i have time.

--
christophe