[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Aug 22 09:07:05 UTC 2010

christophe posted on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:08:42 +0200 as excerpted:

> Le Sunday 22 August 2010 09:14:39 Duncan, vous avez écrit :
>>[...]
>> OK, I just discovered that konsole (4.x) actually has two font
>> adjustments, which I didn't realize before.  See below for the
>> implications, but you said you're learning from this exchange; I'm
>> learning too...
>
> You mention konsole version 4.x, but i saw that konsole version in
> opensuse 11.3 is 2.4.3 . MAybe you refer to kde version 4.x ? Kde
> version in opensuse 11.3 is 4.4 .

Yes, the konsole with kde 4.x.  Thanks for noting the detail and allowing
me to clear the confusion.

>> Now, back to konsole (4.x):
>> Again on that appearance tab, when editing the current konsole profile,
>> down at the bottom, notice the checkbox for "Draw intense colors in
>> bold font".
>
> !!!!  That's exactly where the whole point is ! You perfectly
> understood.
>
>> Try unchecking it and applying, etc.  See if that gets rid of the
>> bold-font anomalies you mention!
>
> I read your message ten minutes ago and immediately rebooted from
> opensuse 11.1 to the "faulty" opensuse 11.3 and looked for this setting.
> During the minute it took to reboot from one to the other, i wondered
> why i hadn't seen this setting before, since i spent some hours on that
> problem. And when i arrived on the opensuse 11.3 kde 4.4 desktop with
> konsole 2.4.3, i understood why i didn't find it : because there is no
> such checkbox on my konsole version !

It's possible that setting was an addition for kde 4.5, based on bugs like
yours reported for earlier versions.

That would also explain why I wasn't aware of it, as 4.5.0 is still
reasonably new, and I've not fully explored it yet.  I thought sure I'd
reviewed all the konsole settings yet this one was new to me.  If it was
new for 4.5 (konsole version 2.5), that explains why.

> I will attach a screenshot in a later message.

Please do.  That way I can see for myself what 4.4 looked like and satisfy
myself that I indeed hadn't missed the setting!

> For a second or two,  i
> thought i was cursed, but i immediately rushed to
> ~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole/ and found one file called Terminal.profile
> and found no attribute called something like
> "DrawIntenseColorInBold=true" The only content i found was :
>
> [Appearance]
> AntiAliasFonts=true
> ColorScheme=Linux
> Font=Fixed [Misc],7,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

> Shall i add such an attribute to replace this absent checkbox ? What's
> the name of this attribute in your Terminal.profile file ? What's your
> konsole version ?
> Will it work for my konsole version ?

Try this.  If you're lucky, it just wasn't in the GUI for 4.4, but konsole
still honors the setting in the config file.  In the appearance section as
above:

BoldIntense=false

That's the setting that got added when I switched it off (it defaults to
on if the line isn't there at all), here.

Otherwise, you may have just found a reason to investigate an early
upgrade! =;^)

> Sure, you your knowledge about font size is very big. I learnt a lot
> reading you.

To be honest, one of the things I (re)learnt is that I didn't actually
know quite as much as I thought! =:^(  Still, I was honestly trying to
help, and I did learn more because of it, plus, hopefully, help you with
the problem, the intended goal for both of us.

(Hmm... FWIW with the above, I also "learnt" that "learnt" is primarily UK
English, the USian common form being "learned"... learned due to it being
flagged as misspelled, provoking me to look it up in wictionary.  While
both my folks are USian and I've been back here for over three decades
now, I spent six years as a kid in Kenya back in the 70s.  As it was a
former British colony only achieving independence in '63, I grew up with
boot and bonnet instead of hood and trunk, and colour, metre, etc, instead
of color, meter, etc, among other things.  So "learnt" sounds perfectly
fine to me and I only learned of the issue due to the flagged spelling.)