[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5 part II

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 22:43:40 UTC 2010

  On 08/19/10 12:43, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:54:15 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>>    Well having done a total reinstall of the DocBook stuff including the
>> 4.2 and 4.5 versions of the DTDs, I have managed to build KDELibs and
>> KDEPIMLibs.
>>
>> But I have run into trouble with KDEBase.

>> -- Found Qt-Version 4.6.3 (using
>> /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.3/bin/qmake) -- Found X11:
>> /usr/X11R7/lib/libX11.so -- Adding /opt/KDE-4.5/share/apps/cmake/modules
>> to CMAKE_MODULE_PATH -- Phonon Version: 4.4.2
>> -- Found KDE 4.4 include dir: /opt/KDE-4.4/include -- Found KDE 4.4
>> library dir: /opt/KDE-4.4/lib -- Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler
>> preprocessor: /opt/KDE-4.4/bin/kconfig_compiler
>> -- Found automoc4: /opt/KDE-4.5/bin/automoc4 CMake Error at
>> /usr/KDE-4.4/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:1258
>> (message):
>>     ERROR: the installed kdelibs version 4.4.5 is too old, at least
>>     version 4.4.90 is required
>> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>     /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:95 (FIND_PACKAGE)
>>     CMakeLists.txt:17 (find_package)
>>

>> -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

>> I am pretty sure that this is a problem.
>>
>> Note that I have:
>>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.3/lib:/opt/KDE-4.5/lib
>> CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/KDE-4.5/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib
>>
>> but it still finds the wrong version.
>>
>> Would this be an error in the CMake text files or could it be a CMake
>> bug?
> FWIW, gentoo/kde is setup so it /can/ be built with USE=kdeprefix, which
> installs the version into its own prefix dir so multiple versions can be
> built and installed side-by-side, but that configuration is specifically
> NOT supported by gentoo/kde.  They STRONGLY recommend that the kdeprefix
> USE flag be turned off, and in fact mask it, so it can't be enabled
> without deliberate unmasking on the part of the user, because there are
> simply so many problems with it, so consistently, that they consider it
> unsupportable.
If you have read the KDE TechBase pages you know that I support it with
KDE-4.4.

<SNIP>
> A single kde4 version at a time is all that's actually
> supported.
I am using the same methods to upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5 that I used to
upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 and they are not working.  I see this as a problem.
> Meanwhile, for this specific error, note that it's the include dir
> detection that first goes wrong.  You are setting the library paths, but
> before it searches for libraries, it's searching for and finding the 4.4
> include dir instead of the 4.5 version.  Then later, it's finding the 4.4
> bin dir and kconfig_compiler within it.
Yes, that is a point.  I forgot to mention that I have also set:

CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/KDE-4.5/include:/usr/X11R7/include

So you can see that something is wrong here.
> It looks to me like you're attempting to build 4.5 without cleaning the
> 4.4 paths (at least $PATH, but perhaps other vars as well) out of your
> build environment first.  I'd suggest doing an export | grep KDE , and
> cleaning out the 4.4 paths from anything mentioning them, before
> attempting to build 4.5.  You can then try setting INCLUDEDIR and PATH (at
> least) to mention the 4.5 locations, in addition to the library pointers
> you're already setting, and see if that works, or at least gets you
> further along.
You don't have to clean the PATH, just put the new stuff at the front:

QTDIR=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.3
KDEDIR=/opt/KDE-4.5
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:$PATH

I think that I have set everything, but it still doesn't work.  Note
that I use a script to build so everything is set every time.

I can use hacks to build it, but I really need to find out what is wrong
to write reasonable instructions.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch