[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5 part II

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Aug 19 19:43:30 UTC 2010

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:54:15 -0700 as excerpted:

>   Well having done a total reinstall of the DocBook stuff including the
> 4.2 and 4.5 versions of the DTDs, I have managed to build KDELibs and
> KDEPIMLibs.
>
> But I have run into trouble with KDEBase.

> -- Found Qt-Version 4.6.3 (using
> /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.3/bin/qmake) -- Found X11:
> /usr/X11R7/lib/libX11.so -- Adding /opt/KDE-4.5/share/apps/cmake/modules
> to CMAKE_MODULE_PATH -- Phonon Version: 4.4.2
> -- Found KDE 4.4 include dir: /opt/KDE-4.4/include -- Found KDE 4.4
> library dir: /opt/KDE-4.4/lib -- Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler
> preprocessor: /opt/KDE-4.4/bin/kconfig_compiler
> -- Found automoc4: /opt/KDE-4.5/bin/automoc4 CMake Error at
> /usr/KDE-4.4/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:1258
> (message):
>    ERROR: the installed kdelibs version 4.4.5 is too old, at least
>    version 4.4.90 is required
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>    /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:95 (FIND_PACKAGE)
>    CMakeLists.txt:17 (find_package)

> I am pretty sure that this is a problem.
>
> Note that I have:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.3/lib:/opt/KDE-4.5/lib
> CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/KDE-4.5/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib
>
> but it still finds the wrong version.
>
> Would this be an error in the CMake text files or could it be a CMake
> bug?

FWIW, gentoo/kde is setup so it /can/ be built with USE=kdeprefix, which
installs the version into its own prefix dir so multiple versions can be
built and installed side-by-side, but that configuration is specifically
NOT supported by gentoo/kde.  They STRONGLY recommend that the kdeprefix
USE flag be turned off, and in fact mask it, so it can't be enabled
without deliberate unmasking on the part of the user, because there are
simply so many problems with it, so consistently, that they consider it
unsupportable.  A single kde4 version at a time is all that's actually
supported.  Never-the-less, the kdeprefix flag remains available and
/sort/ of workable, because the gentoo/kde project itself makes use of it
to install multiple versions side by side during upstream pre-release
phase testing (so the 4.6 live trunk build can be installed parallel to a
more stable 4.5.0, for instance).

Knowing that, you may find it easiest to tarball up your existing kde4
installation and remove it when building a new one (or if you're using a
snapshotting filesystem like btrfs, or using lvm2 or the like, do it via
snapshots), so the two don't cross-detect or collide in other ways, as
they are for you ATM.  If the new version doesn't work, you can then
rollback to the old version.  Of course, with portage's binpkg support,
which I have enabled in ordered to keep binary package backups of
everything built, automatically, I don't have to worry so much about that
here, as the old version backup is thus automated and I can simply remerge
the old versions from binpkg if necessary.

Meanwhile, for this specific error, note that it's the include dir
detection that first goes wrong.  You are setting the library paths, but
before it searches for libraries, it's searching for and finding the 4.4
include dir instead of the 4.5 version.  Then later, it's finding the 4.4
bin dir and kconfig_compiler within it.

It looks to me like you're attempting to build 4.5 without cleaning the
4.4 paths (at least $PATH, but perhaps other vars as well) out of your
build environment first.  I'd suggest doing an export | grep KDE , and
cleaning out the 4.4 paths from anything mentioning them, before
attempting to build 4.5.  You can then try setting INCLUDEDIR and PATH (at
least) to mention the 4.5 locations, in addition to the library pointers
you're already setting, and see if that works, or at least gets you
further along.