[kde-linux] Changed Monitor - Can't reconfigure display!

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Thu Aug 19 22:44:34 UTC 2010

      Hello List, Etal,

      This may not be a KDE problem, but I'll ask it here first. Env is
      openSuse 11.2 with KDE 4.3.1.

      I changed the monitor from a flat screen device to a CRT, but
      using the same display card.

      Upon reboot the display resolution comes up at 800x600 at 60Hz.  The
      menus are off screen, but I got to Configure Desktop > Display.
      The only other choice given is 480.

      If I reboot in failsafe the display comes up at 1024x768 but there
      are no other choices available.

      My display card is a Matrox Mellennium 16M dual head card. On the
      same system, same HW and connections, the XP boot finds two dozen
      adapter settings including the 1152x852 at 75Hz with 32K depth.

      I saw in the sysconfig editor a place to mess with frame buffers
      settings. In earlier times I've attempted to edit the free86
      files, but seldom successfully. I've tried the CTL ALT Kp+ with no
      change. It seems as if this display card is incompatible with
      openSuse 11.2.

      Can I get some help with this here? Frank K