[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Aug 17 15:44:16 UTC 2010

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers posted on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:12:02 +0200 as
excerpted:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:49:06 +0000 (UTC) Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Gentoo requirements for kdelibs-4.5 include >=libdbusmenu-qt-0.3.2.  So
>> I'd suggest at least that, before trying to build 4.5.
>
> As I read today (
> http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/16037/gentoo-derzeit-ohne-kde-sc-45.html
> ), unfortunately in german, Gentoo's KDE-Team decided _not to include_
> KDE-4.5.0 in their standard repository, due to the fact that an actual
> KDEPIM-Suite does not exist, and users could face problems. This could
> mean a delay until 2011.

Meh... That's what the gentoo/kde overlay is for. =:^)

Seriously.  Stable is almost always going to be a version behind, because
the standard Gentoo policy is a month in ~arch without serious bugs before
something can be stabilized, and with upstream kde releasing bugfix-
releases every month... .  ~arch is generally more current and kde's no
exception, but as illustrated here, they don't even put all the monthly
versions in (in-tree) ~arch.  But the overlay contains the most recent
version, plus live builds for trunk and the current upstream branches.
Generally, the ebuilds are available there (but masked) several days
before a new upstream release, with only the unmasking to ~arch (in the
overlay) happening on the day of release, when the tarballs become
publicly available.

I didn't install the day 4.5 came out as I was busy, but IIRC, I did the
install a day later.  No issues. =:^)

>> But the
>> other choice you have is that since you're pretty much already doing
>> the work, you might wish to contact LFS and see what it would take to
>> do the scripts for LFS directly.  Then they'd /have/ those scripts.
>> And you'd potentially get more feedback and possibly
>> development/testing cooperation from other LFS users as well, helping
>> you get them right.
>
> I would like this last approach. I do not think however, that the
> resources of the LFS/BLFS Team are not big enough to integrate KDE-4.5
> in the BLFS Book. I presume rather, that the fact that the book still
> includes KDE-3.5 reflects the problems with KDE-4 releases up to now.

That's possible (and thru 4.3 was arguably the best decision even if kde
claimed 4.2 was ready for normal use and dropped support for 3.5, after
promising support would be there as long as there were users.  But help is
always welcome, in situations such as this.