[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Tue Aug 17 12:12:02 UTC 2010

As I read today ( http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/16037/gentoo-derzeit-ohne-kde-sc-45.html ), unfortunately in german, Gentoo's KDE-Team decided _not to include_ KDE-4.5.0 in their standard repository, due to the fact that an actual KDEPIM-Suite does not exist, and users could face problems. This could mean a delay until 2011.

> Which leaves you a choice.  I mentioned earlier, James, the choice of
> trying gentoo, since the work is already being done there.  But the other
> choice you have is that since you're pretty much already doing the work,
> you might wish to contact LFS and see what it would take to do the scripts
> for LFS directly.  Then they'd /have/ those scripts.  And you'd
> potentially get more feedback and possibly development/testing cooperation
> from other LFS users as well, helping you get them right.

I would like this last approach. I do not think however, that the resources of the LFS/BLFS Team are not big enough to integrate KDE-4.5 in the BLFS Book. I presume rather, that the fact that the book still includes KDE-3.5 reflects the problems with KDE-4 releases up to now.

Edgar
--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>