[kde-linux] Akonadi problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Apr 17 13:11:04 UTC 2010

On Saturday, 2010-04-17, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2010 15:31:37 Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> > Hi Kevin, Hi Duncan,
> >
> > thanks a lot for your comments and hints.
> >
> > > Can you determine which Akonadi resource is crashing?
> >
> > Yes. According to KDE-Crash Handler it is "akonadi_maildir_resource".
> > Signal 6 ( aborted ). The box disappeares after I remove the "mail.dir"
> > resorce in Akonadi-console.
> >
> > However I get a lot of "akonadi_maildir" activities shown by "system
> > activity" and corresponding much akonadi resources shown in
> > akonadi-console, until I rename "akonadi_maildir_resource" in
> > /opt/kde4/bin.
>
> It's probably trying to do the impossible.  KMail is not yet released in an
> akonadi-compatible form, so it probably makes no sense to have the maildir
> resource enabled.

While this is quite true, I'd like to point out that Akonadi changes the way
application work with data such that any program is not necessarily the sole
user of a specific resource setup.

KMail will most likely be the main reason a system is running maildir
resources, however people right now could be experiementing with the Akonadi
based Mailody version, etc.

In the future there might be more unlreated apps overlappingly using certain
parts of the Akonadi setup. E.g. a mail notification applet might be using the
data from the same IMAP resource as a calendar application for a calendar
stored on a Kolab server (which is built on IMAP for data access).

So currently Anne's comment is true because there are no production level user
interfaces for mail from Akonadi, but this is likely to change during the next
couple of releases.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring