[kde-linux] Akonadi problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Apr 16 17:29:40 UTC 2010

On Friday, 2010-04-16, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi Kevin, Hi Duncan,
>
> thanks a lot for your comments and hints.
>
> > Can you determine which Akonadi resource is crashing?
>
> Yes. According to KDE-Crash Handler it is "akonadi_maildir_resource".
>  Signal 6 ( aborted ). The box disappeares after I remove the "mail.dir"
>  resorce in Akonadi-console.
>
> However I get a lot of "akonadi_maildir" activities shown by "system
>  activity" and corresponding much akonadi resources shown in
>  akonadi-console, until I rename "akonadi_maildir_resource" in
>  /opt/kde4/bin.

I remember faintly that there had been a problem with that resource but that
should be fixed by now.

So you are saying that you have running akonadi_maildir processes even after
removing all in akonadiconsole?

> Duncan's hint concerning "mysqld" :  I realised that I had two instances
> running, one beeing triggered by akonadi, the other one starting
> from the very beginning from /etc/rc3.d. I removed the last one, but
>  nothing special happens.

Those are both OK: The second one is a system wide one, Akonadi isn't
concerned with that.
As Duncan already clarified he was talking about to mysql instances started by
Akonadi itself, one from an earlier run that seems to not shut down correctly
and thus keeping the current one from starting up.

> It should hovever become included in general instructions, not to start
> "mysql" from other applications, if this is crucial to akonadi.
>
> KAddressbook is definitivly _not_ working at all. I can start KAddressBook,
>  it offers me to add a new AddressBook, but it does nothing. But absolutely
>  nothing. It seems, that KAddressbook is not ready in Kdepim-4.4.1.Could
>  this be true, Kevin ?

I am on 4.3.4 (Debian packages not updated yet) but Duncan says it should be
OK.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring