[kde-linux] Akonadi problems

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 16 16:56:47 UTC 2010

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers posted on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:31:37 +0200 as
excerpted:

> Duncan's hint concerning "mysqld" :  I realised that I had two instances
> running, one beeing triggered by akonadi, the other one starting from
> the very beginning from /etc/rc3.d. I removed the last one, but nothing
> special happens.

> It should hovever become included in general instructions, not to start
> "mysql" from other applications, if this is crucial to akonadi.

I'm no db expert, but AFAIK, it should be possible to run multiple mysqld
sessions, as long as they're configured to be entirely separate.  The
problem I had was that akonadi was starting a session, then kde exiting
without exiting the mysqld session it started, which upon kde restart, ran
into the mentioned bug trying to reuse the same session.  But if it had
been a totally unrelated session, running for some other app and perhaps
even for another user, AFAIK it shouldn't have been an issue.

> KAddressbook is definitivly _not_ working at all. I can start
> KAddressBook, it offers me to add a new AddressBook, but it does
> nothing. But absolutely nothing. It seems, that KAddressbook is not
> ready in Kdepim-4.4.1.Could this be true, Kevin ?

kaddressbook is working in 4.4; it's simply built on akonadi now, so if
akonadi is broken, so is kaddressbook.  kmail will apparently likewise be
built on akonadi for 4.5, but hopefully, most of the issues will be worked
thru by then.