[kde-linux] K3b and no space left error

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 06:39:39 UTC 2010

Dale posted on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:31:12 -0500 as excerpted:

>> I don't use re-burnable media enough to have had the problem here,
>> but...
>>
>> 1) Try a manual erase step first, then see if it takes it.
>>
> That fails as well.

If that fails, and...

>> 3) The RWs have a limited number of write cycles possible.  How many
>> times has this same disk been rewritten?
>>

> Tried with new media, it failed too.

That too fails, then...

[reordering this and the below quoted paragraphs]

> I'm thinking hardware.  It just doesn't appear to be working with
> anything.  I'm going to order a new drive and see what happens.

Yeah, that could well be hardware.

New drives are reasonably cheap, last I checked (maybe they're even lower
now?), $40 low end everyday price @ Fry's Electronics, $20-30 if you find
a sale.

But, what I've found with the low-end drives at least, is that they do
tend to go out of calibration after a few years and start burning coasters/
frisbees.  But usually the speeds are up and the prices down by then
anyway, and at that price, it's not /too/ big a deal to just buy a new
one, as long as you're not paying an arm and a leg to have someone else
install it.

I've occasionally wondered if the double-or-triple-the-price ones would
last longer.  They're certainly not rated any different, speed-wise, etc,
and the burning protocols are pretty standard, so it can't be that.  But
if a double-the-price lasts three times as long and a triple-the-price
lasts 5-6 times as long, it could be argued to be worth it.  OTOH, as I
said, in the intervening 2-3 years, speeds tend to have gotten better, or
prices, or they've upgraded technology/capacity (from CD-burner to DVD-
burner, for instance, and in a couple years as prices come down, to Blu-
Ray, and with thumb-drive prices coming down, that'll probably take over
at some point), so buying the cheap ones and then upgrading every few
years is probably as cost effective in any case.

> Looks like it will be black tho.  By puter is going to look funny
> with a black drive in it.  The case is beige.   Oh well.

FWIW, a lot of them now come with two snap-on covers, a black one and a
beige one.  It's not a big deal to change it out, especially when you're
installing the thing already anyway.

But I don't generally bother anyway, as I've already got a black 4-drive-
in-3-bay hard drive enclosure (for the 4-spindle md/kernel RAID) in mine
(cheap aluminum case beige full tower) as it is, and have holes drilled
for additional fans for more air flow, etc.  I'm a guy and a geek.  I
don't care what it /looks/ like, as long as it works well! =:^)

>> 4) You /could/ try using the command line tools directly.  Yes, it's
>> hairy trying to figure out all the options you want/need, but it is
>> possible.
>>
> He he he.  I'm sure that wouldn't work.  It would take me a long while
> to figure out if I was using the wrong options or if it was not working
> for some other reason.

LOL.  I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, I guess if you've not done it
before and are more comfortable with the GUI, you could indeed end up
typoing something, or otherwise getting the command wrong, and end up
sitting there for hours playing with it, before you figure out whether
it's the hardware or your command line that's the problem!  I've done that
on a few things before, but I do generally figure it out in the end, and
do take a bit of pride in being able to work thru to my own solutions even
if I'm banging my head on the keyboard for a couple hours working it thru!

But, what I had in mind tho I guess I didn't really say it, was starting
from the command lines K3B's log said it used.  Then you're not starting
from scratch, at least.  That's what I'd do, checking the manpage to see
what all the switches K3B was using meant and verifying whether they made
sense to me or not -- basically double-checking that what k3b was doing on
the back-end was at least sane.

In your case, since you've already tried the k3b stand-alone erase command
and that didn't work, that's all I'd worry about.  That command should be
reasonably simple, and if you can get it to do that correctly on the
command line, then you know for sure that it's something strange going on
with k3b (and you could compare the command that finally worked for you
with the command it tried to use).

But... given that neither the erase nor a write to a new media seemed to
work, AND given my own experience with the cheap burners going out of
alignment or whatever and needing replaced every few years, at the cost of
a new one these days, I agree, rather than wasting whole slews of time on
this and probably ending up replacing it anyway, might as well just go for
the replacement now and be done with it.

Or... as I mentioned above, just go for a thumb drive.  An 8 gig will
surely take your 4-ish gig archive, and they're getting so cheap now
they're putting them in multi-packs.  If you're doing a lot of burning, or
if you're wanting a DVD-player compatible format for part of the burning
you do, the lower cost of the optical media's something to think about,
but if you primarily use it for updating that 4-gig archive, a thumb
drive, or a couple of them to rotate, is probably going to be roughly
comparable to what you'll spend on a new DVD-burner anyway.

Or if you want to be fancy, buy a USB-3 adapter card (Linux was pretty
much first out of the gate with support for them, as Intel was working on
it before the spec was even released), and a USB-3 external hard drive,
and go to it! =:^)

Or settle for a 1 TB external USB-2 drive -- I bought one a few months ago
for $80, store special at Fry's, pretty close to the pricewatch.com price
as well.  Think of all the 4-ish gig archives you could do on THAT before
you started overwriting! =:^)  And as long as you don't go dropping them
or something, they're probably more reliable than DVDs as well, as they're
sealed, so no dust to worry about.