[kde-linux] K3b and no space left error

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:55:19 UTC 2010

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:31:12 -0500 as excerpted:
>

>>> I don't use re-burnable media enough to have had the problem here,
>>> but...
>>>
>>> 1) Try a manual erase step first, then see if it takes it.
>>>

>> That fails as well.
>>
> If that fails, and...
>

>>> 3) The RWs have a limited number of write cycles possible.  How many
>>> times has this same disk been rewritten?
>>>

>> Tried with new media, it failed too.
>>
> That too fails, then...
>
> [reordering this and the below quoted paragraphs]
>

>> I'm thinking hardware.  It just doesn't appear to be working with
>> anything.  I'm going to order a new drive and see what happens.
>>
> Yeah, that could well be hardware.
>
> New drives are reasonably cheap, last I checked (maybe they're even lower
> now?), $40 low end everyday price @ Fry's Electronics, $20-30 if you find
> a sale.
>
> But, what I've found with the low-end drives at least, is that they do
> tend to go out of calibration after a few years and start burning coasters/
> frisbees.  But usually the speeds are up and the prices down by then
> anyway, and at that price, it's not /too/ big a deal to just buy a new
> one, as long as you're not paying an arm and a leg to have someone else
> install it.
>
> I've occasionally wondered if the double-or-triple-the-price ones would
> last longer.  They're certainly not rated any different, speed-wise, etc,
> and the burning protocols are pretty standard, so it can't be that.  But
> if a double-the-price lasts three times as long and a triple-the-price
> lasts 5-6 times as long, it could be argued to be worth it.  OTOH, as I
> said, in the intervening 2-3 years, speeds tend to have gotten better, or
> prices, or they've upgraded technology/capacity (from CD-burner to DVD-
> burner, for instance, and in a couple years as prices come down, to Blu-
> Ray, and with thumb-drive prices coming down, that'll probably take over
> at some point), so buying the cheap ones and then upgrading every few
> years is probably as cost effective in any case.
>

>> Looks like it will be black tho.  By puter is going to look funny
>> with a black drive in it.  The case is beige.   Oh well.
>>
> FWIW, a lot of them now come with two snap-on covers, a black one and a
> beige one.  It's not a big deal to change it out, especially when you're
> installing the thing already anyway.
>
> But I don't generally bother anyway, as I've already got a black 4-drive-
> in-3-bay hard drive enclosure (for the 4-spindle md/kernel RAID) in mine
> (cheap aluminum case beige full tower) as it is, and have holes drilled
> for additional fans for more air flow, etc.  I'm a guy and a geek.  I
> don't care what it /looks/ like, as long as it works well! =:^)
>

>>> 4) You /could/ try using the command line tools directly.  Yes, it's
>>> hairy trying to figure out all the options you want/need, but it is
>>> possible.

> [...]

Well after all this, I did some testing on this old thing.  Heck, it
won't even read a disk.  I put it in and it gives me the file list and
says things are there BUT if I try to copy them, I get nothing.  It
starts the copy process but errors out.  I can't recall what the error
said but anyway.

Since I am only about 3 hours from neweeg's warehouse, I ordered a new
DVD burner.  We'll see if that fixes it.

It will be black but I hope you are right that it comes with a beige
one.  It would just look funny with the black face plate.  I have two
fan holes in the side of my case too.  Two 120mm fans blowing at half
speed or so.  I set it just below where it becomes audible.  Even at
100% CPU time I run at about 90F or so.  At idle I run at about 80F.  I
run folding in the winter time.  Got to have a little heat.  Oh, my CPU
fan is temp controlled.  Its one of those ThermalTake Smart II fans.
Works well tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)