[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:59:26 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:19:12 Irina Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:55 jim wrote:
> > I just encountered this last nite. It may be related to
> > earlier postings on various KDE 4.x print problems, or
> > it may be specific to Okular.
> > When attempting to print a 10.6"x7.6" PNG or EPS file using Okular,
> > it is consistently printed in 'portrait' mode, even after
> > selecting 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
> > I tried rotating the image 90 deg in Okular and printing
> > in  'portrait' mode, but the output image was still aligned
> > across the page. This, of course, truncates about 1/5 of the image.
>
> Strangely, my A4 landscape PDF file (in Okular) identified correctly as
> 'landscape' but printed as 'portrait'; selecting 'portrait' made it print
> correctly.
>
> I haven't tried to print landscape .odf files yet.

I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of course
be totally invalid.  If the document has the landscape property embedded in
it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and rotate the print
as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format image, for instance, doesn't
have it embedded and you must do it manually, in the print dialog.  Does that
make sense?