[kde-linux] question about KDE versions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 24 10:01:14 UTC 2009

Louis Hinman posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:28:53 -0400 as excerpted:

> If I were to upgrade to KDE 4.2.4, would I find the manuals better
> conformed to versions?

Some better, some worse.  One of the things Linux has problems with is
outdated documentation.  The generally agreed reason is that it's not as
much fun to write documentation as it is to code new features or even to
fix bugs, so it tends not to get done very quickly, and when it does,
it's soon outdated.

kde4 does tend to have more upto date documentation... where it has it.
But a lot of it simply isn't there yet.  And in other cases, the old and
now even /worse/ outdated documentation was just carried forward, tho in
my experience that's for the non-kde-core apps.

Of course, one thing users who can't code can help with is the
documentation.  If you'd like, and have the time to contribute, Anne can
probably get you hooked up with the right people to get started.
Alternatively, on the "What's this?" features in kde4, if they're not
described yet, there's a link you can click that allows you to describe
it and send it to the kde folks so they can add it.  That takes far less
time than volunteering for the docs team, and doesn't have the commitment
either.  You just send one here or there whenever you see something not
documented and know what it does so can help.