[kde-linux] question about KDE versions

Louis Hinman lou at manhattanhandyman.com
Fri Oct 23 22:28:53 UTC 2009

I am currently running Slackware 12.2, which incorporates KDE 3.5.10.
Slackware 12. 2 has in the last month or so been superseded by Slackware
13.0, which incoporates KDE 4.2.4.

KDE 3.5.10 is my first experience with a Linux desktop environment, and I am
very impressed with it.  However, I have noticed that the application manuals
are frequently out of sync with the versions.  Sometimes these discrepancies
are minor, but the tutorial in KWord is not really usable, because it differs
substanially from the KWord version in 3.5.10.

To be sure, 3.5.10 is an old version.  (The Slackware team seems to be quite
conservative in this regard.)

Questions:

If I were to upgrade to KDE 4.2.4, would I find the manuals better conformed
to versions?

What about later versions?

In general, is there a sound basis for the conservatism of the Slackware on
this particular score?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Lou
New York City