[kde-linux] Lost system desktop icons on KDE3.1

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 21:07:05 UTC 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 October 2009 21:15:15 AG wrote:
>
>> On my wife's KDE3.1 Debian Lenny system, she has lost the home, trash,
>> etc.  Instead, she has a couple of ordinary looking directory-type icons
>> that are just files she has saved to the desktop.
>>
>> She is keen to have those icons restored (I don't know when they
>> disappeared, only when she told me that it was bugging her), but having
>> gone through the available menus, I can't see any option that enables me
>> to reset this for her.
>>
>> Can anyone help me help her?
>>

> We have had the same problem here ( my wife's PC ! ) some days ago. Try first
> starting kde not as user but as root. The icons should be there. The problem
> here resulted to be, as Irina said,  a link problem. Involved qt !
>
> Try first Anne's instructions. Then start kde as root, and then we shall see !
> good luck
> Edgar

Just to be clear - the suggestion is to log out of KDE and log back in
as root?  If the icons (yes, Irina you are right in what I meant) are
there then it is a linking problem?  If so, then I need to follow Anne's
suggestion and rename them via the properties option from a right-click
context menu?

Thanks for the ideas: I'll report back on the outcomes.

AG