[kde-linux] Lost system desktop icons on KDE3.1

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 14 02:01:44 UTC 2009

AG wrote:
> On my wife's KDE3.1 Debian Lenny system, she has lost the home, trash,
> etc.  Instead, she has a couple of ordinary looking directory-type icons
> that are just files she has saved to the desktop.

have you considered creating new user and then pulling default '*.desktop'
icons from new user's '~/Desktop'? do change owner.

as for 'etc' icons, she will need to recreate them.

also, as root. run 'updatedb', and 'locate trash.desktop>locate-trash' then
open file to see if there is a 'trash.desktop' owned by your wife and in
wrong place. a long shot, but you never know.

as a suggestion, have her create a subdirectory in her home directory, such
as '~/documents/desktop-notes'. next, create a link to desktop for directory.

use this to drop into anything that she would normally save to desktop. then
link from that directory to her desktop.

this can be done for default icons also, and will prevent anything but links
being deleted in future.

hth.

--

peace out.