[kde-linux] Lost system desktop icons on KDE3.1

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Tue Oct 13 20:51:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 13 October 2009 21:15:15 AG wrote:
> On my wife's KDE3.1 Debian Lenny system, she has lost the home, trash,
> etc.  Instead, she has a couple of ordinary looking directory-type icons
> that are just files she has saved to the desktop.
>
> She is keen to have those icons restored (I don't know when they
> disappeared, only when she told me that it was bugging her), but having
> gone through the available menus, I can't see any option that enables me
> to reset this for her.
>
> Can anyone help me help her?

We have had the same problem here ( my wife's PC ! ) some days ago. Try first
starting kde not as user but as root. The icons should be there. The problem
here resulted to be, as Irina said,  a link problem. Involved qt !

Try first Anne's instructions. Then start kde as root, and then we shall see !
good luck
Edgar