[kde-linux] OT: Sig remnants (was KWifiManager ?)

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 09:25:46 UTC 2009

Rajko M. wrote:
> On Friday 09 October 2009 21:21:36 Dale wrote:
>
>> Rajko M. wrote:

>>> It seems that Seamonkey deletes from "-- " (dash dash space) to next
>>> occurrence of dashes. In private emails it is start of GPG Signature that
>>> should be preserved, but it forgets to check for mail list footer, that
>>> is appended after end of GPG block. In other words it doesn't delete
>>> anything after signature.
>>>
>>> To check this I appended some text where  usually goes GPG signature.
>>> If it is not deleted then it is above case, if it is deleted then problem
>>> is with procedure that deals with GPG, ie. it doesn't return properly and
>>> the rest is not deleted.
>>>

> Well, this space would contain my addendum and KDE list message if my
> signature separator would not exist.
>

>> I'm replying so you can see what it did when I hit reply.  Is this what
>> you expected?  I hit reply but did not delete anything at all.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> This is whole message that I can see.
> You have no signature separator and it is fully quoted including mail list
> footer. The mail list footer should have the same signature separator (dash
> dash space) to be deleted. This list doesn't use that, but line of underscores
> and that is treated as part of the message.
>
> As above part of my message after signature is deleted, and Anne's is not
> something is wrong with Seamonkey treatment of mails that contain GPG
> signature (by the way Thunderbird is doing exactly the same), so that is what
> you can write in bug report for the Seamonkey.
>
> That world is far from perfect, tells list of mime types in Anne's mail,
> showed in KMail. It is listed like this:
> -Body (nothing, just container)
> --internal part (actual message)
> --digitally signed message part (gpg signature)
> -body part (the KDE ML footer)
>
> It can be that Seamonkey and Thunderbird actually do correct job, and KMail
> flaky, removing something that is marked as part of the message body.
> On the other hand, it should not happen to consider as part of the message
> body something appended after the GPG.
> GPG signature and attachments are appended when mail is sent out, so there is
> no chance that there is user message after that part.

You are correct on one thing.  I don't have a signature separator but I
also don't have a signature.  What I send, I type in including my name
and the little smileys at the bottom.

Maybe the new Seamonkey 2 will have this fixed.  For me, I'll just keep
deleting.  I would be lost otherwise.

Dale

:-)  :-)