[kde-linux] OT: Sig remnants (was KWifiManager ?)

Rajko M. rmatov101 at charter.net
Sat Oct 10 09:09:48 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 21:21:36 Dale wrote:
> Rajko M. wrote:
> > On Friday 09 October 2009 12:34:12 Dale wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmmm, I really wouldn't know what to tell them in the bug.
> >
> > It seems that Seamonkey deletes from "-- " (dash dash space) to next
> > occurrence of dashes. In private emails it is start of GPG Signature that
> > should be preserved, but it forgets to check for mail list footer, that
> > is appended after end of GPG block. In other words it doesn't delete
> > anything after signature.
> >
> > To check this I appended some text where  usually goes GPG signature.
> > If it is not deleted then it is above case, if it is deleted then problem
> > is with procedure that deals with GPG, ie. it doesn't return properly and
> > the rest is not deleted.

Well, this space would contain my addendum and KDE list message if my
signature separator would not exist.

> I'm replying so you can see what it did when I hit reply.  Is this what
> you expected?  I hit reply but did not delete anything at all.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

This is whole message that I can see.
You have no signature separator and it is fully quoted including mail list
footer. The mail list footer should have the same signature separator (dash
dash space) to be deleted. This list doesn't use that, but line of underscores
and that is treated as part of the message.

As above part of my message after signature is deleted, and Anne's is not
something is wrong with Seamonkey treatment of mails that contain GPG
signature (by the way Thunderbird is doing exactly the same), so that is what
you can write in bug report for the Seamonkey.

That world is far from perfect, tells list of mime types in Anne's mail,
showed in KMail. It is listed like this:
-Body (nothing, just container)
--internal part (actual message)
--digitally signed message part (gpg signature)
-body part (the KDE ML footer)

It can be that Seamonkey and Thunderbird actually do correct job, and KMail
flaky, removing something that is marked as part of the message body.
On the other hand, it should not happen to consider as part of the message
body something appended after the GPG.
GPG signature and attachments are appended when mail is sent out, so there is
no chance that there is user message after that part.

--
Regards, Rajko

People of openSUSE editor.
Latest interviews: http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/