[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 10 08:44:45 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 22:12:11 Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> There is a significant number of users building their own systems, see for
> example James Tyrer. Among other adventages, with this system you learn to
> understand more and more the structure of Linux..
>
> Short: you do not need to explain me what distros are.

Sorry, but clearly I do.  You spoke of monopoly-like dependency on a distro.
Not only does that not exist, it is impossible for it to do so.  The very fact
that you can build your own from scratch proves that.

> Now, comming down to our problem: no matter what a software package you
>  need,  in all cases I know, you will find specific distros packages, and a
>  source code ( *.tar.gz ) package for people like me, compiling from the
>  sources.

Exactly.  You are not dependent on them, you can build your own.

> Up to now, I have only seen one package, "NetworkManager", which
>  specifically  claims for a distribution in order to allow compilation. It
>  shows a "make error", if you dont have a distro. This is _not _ the normal
>  behaviour building Linux, and I hope you understand what I am talking
>  about. If I install a distro, for sure I will have a communication manager
>  included. But if I am building a "scratch" system, such
>  a  "NetworkManager" wired to a distro is useless.

Since I do not build my own, I can't tell you where to find the source.

> This said, and I hope on a future objective discussion:  What is KDE-4 at
>  the  moment offering as a "Wifi-Manager" ? It is not at all a problem, if
>  the answer is " we are on the way", but please, do not bore me with
>  detergents brands.

I won't bore you at all.  Since you know best, you can google and find it.