[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 10 11:35:29 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
<SNIP>
> Since I do not build my own, I can't tell you where to find the source.

Exactly!  You don't understand the issue, so why are you making
irrelevant comments and arguing about it.

>> This said, and I hope on a future objective discussion:  What is KDE-4 at
>>  the  moment offering as a "Wifi-Manager" ? It is not at all a problem, if
>>  the answer is " we are on the way", but please, do not bore me with
>>  detergents brands.
>>
> I won't bore you at all.  Since you know best, you can google and find it.

If you feel that you simply must comment on this, might I suggest that
you not be rude about it?

He did not appear to fully understand the issue.  I explained it to him,
and provided a solution.  Did you read my post?  Did your understand
what I said?

Might I further explain that it is true that you need to use a disto to
be able to run a Linux based OS.  This is because a distro contains some
things which are not supplied by any packages.  This is specifically the
startup scripts which are needed to boot the system as well as other
configuration files.  Linux from Scratch provides start up scripts and
configuration files so it is actually a distro.

Therefore, there are a limited number of packages that need to have
things added to the start up (init.d and other) scripts to work.  Some
of these simply leave it to you to do this but others will do it for
specific distros.  They normally try to detect which distro your are
using or have a configure parameter to explicitly state this.  The
NetworkManager package, because it actually has distro specific code,
will not build if you have a distro other than those listed in it's
build scripts -- there is no generic option.  This seems like a poor
design choice to me, and he is perfectly correct to complain about it.

The patch and the build instructions I pointed him to will fix the
problem although I don't know if it is a good solution.  Perhaps
claiming that you have RedHat and then editing the installed scripts is
a better idea.

The solution I used for the startup script issue was to use the Fedora
start up scripts, so I do not have the problem with NetworkManager and
can not replicate it.  I made this change after having to tell various
packages that I was running RedHat, for them to build correctly, so it
seemed like the best solution.  In this case, I had to modify the code,
sit it probably isn't the best solution for this package.

If you have nothing useful to add, perhaps you should simply not reply
when the issue is something that you do not understand and that,
therefore, you can not provide any useful information or assistance with.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch