[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Fri Oct 9 21:12:11 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 14:12:55 Anne Wilson wrote:

> This is a complete misunderstanding of the world of linux.  You would be no
> more dependent on a distro than you are dependent on a detergent brand to
> do your laundry.  You may choose the convenience of pre-prepared packages
> in a distro, but the underlying linux is the same, and every application
> that runs on one distro will also run on another (except, of course, where
> you are running a development or testing version, when a different version
> may not be quite as state-of-the-art).  None of your data is affected by
> the distro of your choice.

Hi Anne,

"This is a complete misunderstanding of the world of linux"

As I think, that we should have a common base of understanding, if we continue
handling questions/problems of Linux in this mailing list, I would like to
inform you about some facts. I am working with linux since nearly ten years. I
started with distributions ( SuSE's, Red-Hat's, Ubuntus etc. ) and went later
to "Linux From the Scratch". This is not a distribution, but a system allowing
you to build  "taylored" that what you need, program by program, and discard
that what you don't. I am not a "newbie"
There is a significant number of users building their own systems, see for
example James Tyrer. Among other adventages, with this system you learn to
understand more and more the structure of Linux..

Short: you do not need to explain me what distros are.

Now, comming down to our problem: no matter what a software package you need,
in all cases I know, you will find specific distros packages, _and_ a source
code ( *.tar.gz ) package for people like me, compiling from the sources.

Up to now, I have only seen one package, "NetworkManager", which specifically
claims for a distribution in order to allow compilation. It shows a "make
error", if you dont have a distro. This is _not _ the normal behaviour
building Linux, and I hope you understand what I am talking about. If I
install a distro, for sure I will have a communication manager included. But
if I am building a "scratch" system, such a  "NetworkManager" wired to a
distro is useless.

This said, and I hope on a future objective discussion:  What is KDE-4 at the
moment offering as a "Wifi-Manager" ? It is not at all a problem, if the
answer is " we are on the way", but please, do not bore me with detergents
brands.

Regards,
Edgar