[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

jim jimtrish at att.net
Fri Oct 9 23:21:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:47:30 +0100 Anne Wilson wrote:
>I ran the script supplied by Boyd Stephen Smith, then pasted it into
>OpenOffice Writer.  Later I pasted it into KWrite.  On both occasions I
>printed to an HP Deskjet 990CXi with duplexer.  On both of those printouts
>there were no missing lines.

Thanks Anne, I appreciate your efforts to help solve my 'problem'.
It must be something local with my system that worked OK under the
older KDE 3.x KWRITE/CUPS systems.

In the meantime I wrote a simple Bash script using 'PR' & 'LPR' to print my
text files. I do a lot of C and Python programming and use KWrite
as my preferred editor due to its handy formatting of program source
files.
Hmmmmm, just thought about it some more. Using my script, the text
files print with (default) headers and footers and no lines lost. However,
'LP' and 'LPR' and probably 'PR' use the CUPS system, so the problem may
lie in the way KDE 4 KWRITE ( and others) formats the page for printing.

But I dont have any more time to fuss with it now that I can edit and print my
files. Thats the main thing I like about LINUX. If the provided stuff dosnt work
to your satisfaction, you can always roll-your-own.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Jim Phelps