[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 8 11:31:46 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 08 October 2009 10:27:23 david wrote:
>> Bruce Miller wrote:
>>> Conclusions: 1. The lateness of the hour here in eastern Canada (and
>>> the length of my day) did not allow me to test Konqueror in a plain
>>> vanilla form, that is, without changing any of its default margins.
>>> However, after a change to the margins, documents printed without
>>> text being lost at the page breaks. This was the problem that has
>>> driven me crazy for the last two years and which led another user to
>>> start this thread. 2. The problem rendering the table (point 7 above)
>>> suggests that the KDE print engine still needs considerable work. 3.
>>> The lack of a function for printing only a part of, rather than an
>>> entire, document is an important hole in KDE's overall functionality
>>> 4. It is my personal judgement --- others will obviously have
>>> different perspectives --- that the persistent problems with printing
>>> in KDE4 are the most important outstanding regression in end-user
>>> usefulness from KDE3.5 to KDE4. kprinter used to be a gem of KDE. I
>>> have read that it was becoming beastly to maintain, but it remains a
>>> shame to have lost it. I need to put on an asbestos suit to say this,
>>> but in my view, the best currently available printer control software
>>> that I know of is FinePrint and it is (gasp!) commercial software for
>>> Windows.
>> I remember FinePrint. It has a long pedigree in the world of printer
>> software!
>>
>> I use TurboPrint - also commercial software, but available for both
>> Linux and Windows (I think) - for my Canon inkjet because it does a far
>> better job printing photos than the non-commercial Linux drivers do.
>>
> This has been said so often, for years.  Is it really still a problem,
> printing from Canon inkjets?

I haven't looked back. The problem wasn't unique to Canon inkjets back
then, either. TurboPrint uses its target printers' full capabilities
because the developer spends the money to get the full support/specs
from the hardware vendors. I like being able to print photos at 4800dpi
on glossy photo paper, with proper color matching, adjustments of ink
volume for the paper type, and such. Last time I tried Linux' idea of
printer drivers for my inkjet, the printed quality was visibly much
worse than TurboPrint's output.

> Sometimes you just have to go for a commercial solution.  I bought VuScan,
> because I got much better results when scanning with my Canon File Scanner
> than xsane could give me.  I use FOSS when I can, but am pragmatic when it's
> simply not feasible.

I'll be adding VuScan to my collection when I add a negative scanner.

>> Conclusion: Bruce's mail software doesn't send paragraphs wrapped
>> properly. ;-)
>>
> Really?  It looks fine here.

After I told Icedove here to wrap the lines - it wrapped his entire post
(originally just 4 long single paragraphs, each a single line) into a
single block of text. His mail software has characteristics of MS Outlook.

There's reasons why the email convention is to have blank lines between
paragraphs. ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com